by Antenna Technologies, Geneva, Switzerland; TARA, New Delhi, India; RUCHI, Bandh village, Himachal Pradesh, India
The injection of active chlorine into drinking water eliminates the pathogenic microorganisms and guards against possible re-contamination. Unfortunately, supply chains of chlorine do not always reach communities in developing countries, especially communities in rural areas.
To plug this gap, TARA, in association with Antenna Technologies, started few years ago to produce locally a sodium hypochlorite solution branded AQUA+. Unlike other chlorine based products, active chlorine concentration in AQUA+ is very low, 6 g/l, and therefore can be easily manipulated without any risk for human health or environment.
- Access to BIS certification have to be a priority since it is the only way to enter into governmental distribution channels. Secondly, the certificate mark, Figure 5, is like a brand and matters a lot for customers. Prove that it has a great power; this logo is very often illegally displayed on un-certified products.
- To avoid loss, product retrofitting and to facilitate supply management, shelf life of AQUA+ should be increased to 8 month or even one year. To do so quality procedure shall be set internally and experiments conducted to determine it.
- Improvement of information is required for customers to understand better the use of chlorine all along the year. Promotion through social media (radio/TV/sms) could be used to further increase knowledge of the product.
- A part of the bottles’ sticker should be left blank so that the local partner can include its logo and information. Indeed, as mentioned, user expressed the need to know who is the local provider of the product.
- Promotion and communication has to consider the environmentally friendly and local aspect of the production and use of AQUA+. Only few studies have been carried out on that particular topic and could give substance to this technology in the idea of its introduction into governmental channels.
- TAF Assessment (2015) AGUA+ in Himachel Pradesh, India
- Indicators AQUA+ USED IN RUCHI
- 2016 RWSN Forum Paper: Scale-up potential evaluation of a chlorine based product for household water treatment 
- Presentation (ENGLISH)
(Le potentiel à grande échelle d’évaluation d’un produit à base de chlorine pour le traitement domestique de l’eau)
Bertrand Wüthrich1, Leon Sra2, Kanika Verma2, André Olschewski3, Fanny Boulloud1 – 1Fondation Antenna Technologies, 2Technology and Action for Rural Advancement – TARA, 3Skat Foundation
Photos courtesy of FANNY BOULLOUD, ANTENNA FOUNDATION (2018)